Unofficial Python GIS SIG

seang sean.gillies at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 18:05:23 EDT 2009

On Oct 1, 9:49 pm, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
> In article <2edb4c08-5853-4d21-9bcc-5895c4312... at l13g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>
> sean.gill... at gmail.com <sean.gill... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >There's growing interest among GIS users of Python for a discussion
> >group, so I've started an unofficial Python GIS SIG at:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/python-gis-sig. Please join if you're
> >interested in improving Python's GIS story. At any rate, the group
> >should (hopefully) reduce the number of GIS questions that get
> >mistakenly posted to Web-SIG ("GIS" is commonly known as "SIG" outside
> >the US/UK).
>
> Any particular reason you didn't create a list @python.org?
> --
> Aahz (a... at pythoncraft.com)           <*>        http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>
> "....Normal is what cuts off your sixth finger and your tail..."  --Siobhan

Only that I am not entirely sure this will take off and don't want to
leave python.org with a defunct list, and I'm unfamiliar with what's
involved with starting a list on python.org. A Google group seemed low
risk. There's fairly good sign-up so far. Am I alienating anybody by
not going with python.org?

--
Sean