easy question, how to double a variable

Chris Colbert sccolbert at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 08:29:52 EDT 2009

I come from a scientific background, so my approach to the solution of
this problem is a little different.

It makes use of some numerical approximations, but that's not
necessarily a bad thing, because it helps avoid singularities. So it
could be a little more robust than other solutions presented here.

It also has a little more functionality: Say you wanted to return
three times a variable, you wouldnt want to write another function to
do that for you, so now you just pass in how many times you want the
variable repeated as the first parameter.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

import math

def repeat(how_many_times, x):
    def f(n):
        return 1./(2**n)

    def summation(func, howmany):
        if howmany == 1:
            return func(1)
        else:
            return func(howmany) + summation(func, howmany-1)

    def eulerify(num):
        return abs(math.cos(math.pi) + 1j*(math.sin(math.pi))) * num

    def get_coefficient(multiplier):
        return eulerify(multiplier * summation(f, 100))

    return int(eulerify(get_coefficient(how_many_times) * x))