creating class objects inside methods

horos11 horos11 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 14:44:48 EDT 2009

> > Thanks for the info, but a couple of points:
>
> >     1. it wasn't meant to be production code, simply a way to teach
> > python.
>
> Speaking as someone who does teach Python, "Ew, no!"  If you start by
> teaching people bad habits, every educator who comes along afterwards
> will curse your name.  That includes teaching yourself.
>
> --
> Rhodri James *-* Wildebeest Herder to the Masses

No offense, but I disagree. By programming without regards to pre-
existing style or convention I learned far more than I otherwise would
have if I had simply mimicked someone else.

And I still think that unbridled assignment - especially assignment
that can change the operational semantics of surrounding terms, at a
distance no less - is a horrid thing.

It gets even worse because the way python handles assignment. To go
back to my original program: why isn't the state variable that I
defined local to that 'if' loop?

while len(dq):

    if curstate.is_answer():
    else:
        for state in ...

The answer? Because you can't explicitly declare it. It therefore
looks globally, finds the 'class state:' statement, and runs with it.
I should be able to say:

    for my state in curstate.next_states():

to show explicitly what I'm doing.

Anyways, maybe I got off to a bad start, but I'm a bit leery of the
language. In my estimation it's trying to be 'too clever by half', and
this coming from a veteran bash/perl programmer. I mean, free form is
one thing, but too much of a good thing can be harmful to your
programming health. Maybe PyChecker or PyLint will help, I don't know.

Ed

(
ps - an aside, but what was the rationale behind only displaying one
error at a time on trying to run a script? I typically like to run a
compilation phase inside my editor (vim), get a list of errors, and
then go to each one and fix them.

And how do you just check a script's syntax without running it
anyways?
)