best vi / emacs python features

TerryP bigboss1964 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 19:06:08 EDT 2009

I typically use several editors: /bin/ed, nvi, EDIT.COM, and Vi
Improved.

These are the advantages that I find these various editors give me:

ed -- I can quickly edit files without having to wait on an ncurses
app to start up. Although I rarely have access to GNU versions of ed,
they use readline which is a big perk when you make a typo.

nvi -- smaller and faster then vim, works great over slow ssh links or
when editing huge files. I like nvi over the original vi, because most
of the limitations of the old-school vi are removed; unlimited undo is
the best feature added.

EDIT.COM -- much faster then notepad over remote connections, and it
understands both DOS and UNIX end of lines; meaning I can skip
converting formats, the only downside is it's still a 16-bit program.

vim -- My favourite and most used editor. I like it because it can be
made fairly compatible with vi, but has superior tag stack handling,
and the multiple-window, :ex command line history, and completion
features leave their nvi equivalents in the dust. (vi had no
completion or command history, and lacked split windows.) Vim also has
improved register handling, regular expression support, tab pages for
organizing workspaces, a client/server mode, and most importantly can
be made to adapt itself (e.g. spaces, tabs, eol's) based on file type
without much bother. That makes it much easier to use with Python
files then most editors in my tool bag.

I am a freak: I do not use nor want syntax highlighting. I don't want
my editor to understand mail, irc, or the www either, I want it to
edit text efficiently so I can go on with the rest of my life as soon
as possible. Given the choice of using a space cadets editor like
emacs or something primitive one like ed, I would choose *ed* just to
speed things up and save on wrist strain. Before I read a tutorial
about vi, I used XEmacs very happily---vi just lines up better with
how my brain works.

--

It is also general consensus that I am nuts ;)

TerryP.