mktime, how to handle dates before 01-01-1970 ?

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:36:14 EDT 2009

On Oct 6, 4:10 pm, Stef Mientki <stef.mien... at gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks guys,
> mx works a bit better  ....

Another popular Python date library is dateutil:

  http://labix.org/python-dateutil

It gives a certain amount of credit to mxDateTime (praising it but not
being very clear how they are related; there is some mention of "using
the specification" of mxDateTime).

I would say mxDateTime and dateutil are the two heavyweights in this
arena.  As you would expect, they have a lot of overlapping
functionality and which one is used is often just a matter of taste,
or whichever one you happened to find first.

One thing that dateutil provides that mxDateTime doesn't is support
for "lay person" month operations.  That is, as far as I can tell,
mxDateTime tries not to dirty itself with the messy business of month
arithmetic, whereas dateutil rolls up its sleeves and takes an honest
stab at it.  If you are writing a calendar/appointment application, or
other end-user-facing program, I would expect dateutil to be a little
more helpful.

John