Unexpected exit of Python script

vicky street.hawk.7 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 09:49:13 EDT 2009

On Oct 14, 5:52 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> vicky wrote:
> > Hello All,
>
> > I am a new Python user and don't know much about it.
>
> > I just want to know that, due to any reason if a script exits, is
> > their some way to release all the resources acquired by the script
> > during execution ?
>
> > Actually In my system I want to execute some piece of code at the time
> > of script exit (expected or unexpected) to ensure the release of all
> > the resources. I don't know how to do that :(
>
> > Can anyone please help me ?
>
> What resources? Usually, the garbage-collection and the OS will do that for
> you anyway. So are there concrete problems you observe?
>
> Also, take a look at the atexit-module.
>
> Diez

According to the documentation of atexit module:

The atexit module defines a single function to register cleanup
functions. Functions thus registered are automatically executed upon
normal interpreter termination.

Note: the functions registered via this module are not called when the
program is killed by a signal, when a Python fatal internal error is
detected, or when os._exit() is called.

Actually I have Python ported on vx-works. During initialization I am
initializing some python interpreters, and each interpreter is
associated with a specific buffer to send or receive the messages
using underlying protocol (embedded in C library). Using same library
I am using the subscription functionality. So when I am using Python
to made subscriptions it register an entry. But if some user forgets
to clear the subscription or script exited accidently due to some
error, subscription still remain active. And when next time the same
interpreter is used to execute some script, the older subscription
create a trouble for the user. I want some implementation which
guarantees the clearance of all the subscriptions at script exit
(expected or unexpected) automatically.

Thanks for your reply.
/vicky