Object Relational Mappers are evil (a meditation)

Paul Rubin http
Thu Oct 15 15:29:16 EDT 2009

Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> writes:
> > BTW, the comma-separted-values-in-a-field is officially called the
> > First Anormal Form. There *has to be* some value to it since I've
> > seen it used quite a few times...  Mick.
>
> Just because you've seen something, doesn't mean it has value; just
> because something has value, doesn't mean the value outweighs the
> associated disadvantages.

The proliferation of tables required for the pure relational approach
is problematic enough that postgresql supports array-valued columns.
That comes across to me as an acknowledgement that the benefits of
"CSV in a field" are worth supporting in a somewhat less kludgy way.