Object Relational Mappers are evil (a meditation)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Oct 15 18:21:23 EDT 2009

Mick Krippendorf <mad.mick at gmx.de> writes:

> Paul Rubin schrieb:
> > Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> writes:
> >> If I knew what First Anormal Form was I (hope!)
> >
> > It appears to be a made-up term.
>
> I read it somewhere once, I just can't find or even remember the
> source. I definitely didn't make it up, though I wish I had.

The word “anormal” appears to have been made up by you.

The negation of the word “normal” is “abnormal”, perhaps you meant
“First Abnormal Form”? That term was in use when E. F. Codd was
originally describing the normal forms, and seemed to imply a database
that was in even worse shape than 0NF.

More recently, this witty commenter at Daily WTF has defined a plausible
(though certainly not universally-agreed) set of abnormal forms
<URL:http://thedailywtf.com/Comments/Roll_Your_Own_Clustered_Index.aspx#121564>.

--
 \        “Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.” —Mark |
  `\                                       Twain, _Pudd'n'head Wilson_ |