Object Relational Mappers are evil (a meditation)

Mick Krippendorf mad.mick at gmx.de
Thu Oct 15 19:01:35 EDT 2009

Ben Finney schrieb:
> Mick Krippendorf <mad.mick at gmx.de> writes:
> The word “anormal” appears to have been made up by you.
> The negation of the word “normal” is “abnormal”, perhaps you meant
> “First Abnormal Form”?

Maybe my English (and my memory) is just not so good. I'm german, and
here "abnormal" and "anormal" are both negations of "normal", but with a
slight difference in meaning. "anormal" means just "not normal", whereas
the meaning of "abnormal" is more like "perverted". That's of course the
better word for the case at hand.

> That term was in use when E. F. Codd was originally describing the normal
> forms, and seemed to imply a database that was in even worse shape
than 0NF.
> More recently, this witty commenter at Daily WTF has defined a plausible
> (though certainly not universally-agreed) set of abnormal forms
> <URL:http://thedailywtf.com/Comments/Roll_Your_Own_Clustered_Index.aspx#121564>.

That's better. I'll keep googling though, because I distinctly remember,
if nothing else, that I have read "First Abnormal Form" being used for
the comma separation stuff.

Mick.