More & More Fun w/ Pics & MySQL

Carsten Haese carsten.haese at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 13:31:59 EDT 2009

Victor Subervi wrote:
> in line...
>
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Carsten Haese <carsten.haese at gmail.com
> <mailto:carsten.haese at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     Why would turning a comment into a statement NOT make a difference?!?
>

> You misunderstood. Leaving in the __commented__ line __commented__ and
> __not__uncommented__ made a difference. Why?

Alright, so let me rephrase the question: Why would turning a statement
into a comment not make a difference?

Answer: The only way commenting out a line of code makes no difference
is if the line of code was superfluous to begin with. The fact that
commenting it out *does* make a difference therefore means that the line
of code is not superfluous.

>     What the heck is a "broken image of correct dimensions"?
>

> http://allpointsmarinevi.com/stxresort/cart/getpic1.py

That doesn't look like a broken image to me. When I try that URL, I get
a 750x900 pixel JPEG image that appears to be a line-drawing of sorts.
Of course I have no idea whether that's the expected result because for
some reason you decided to keep that a secret.

>     You can prove whether it's your server farm or you by running the same
>     code on a different server.
>

> Which one?

Which one what? Which code? Try all versions you have, until you find
one that works. When you do, run that on your server farm to see if it
still works.

>     Again, you have to help us help you. I have listed the three things you
>     need to post together, and you haven't done that. You're giving us bits
>     and pieces, but nothing that's sufficiently cohesive to do any
>     meaningful troubleshooting on.
>

> Forgive me. I must have misunderstood. I have deleted the old message.
> Would you be so kind as to re-post those three things you need me to
> provide you?

Here's what I said earlier:
"""
The only way we have a fighting chance to help you in figuring out
what's going in is if you post the *exact* code you're running (and by
that I mean the actual code that you know your server is executing, and
not just some code that somewhat resembles the code that the server
might be executing), a detailed description of the result you're
expecting, and a detailed description of the result you're getting instead.
"""

So, the three things I'm asking for:
* Show us EXACTLY the code you're running.
* Tell us the result you're expecting.
* Tell us the result you're getting instead.

--
Carsten Haese
http://informixdb.sourceforge.net