Fallen Sword

Paul Huber phuber at invalid.com
Wed Oct 21 23:09:41 EDT 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:00:03 +1100, Ben Finney
<ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

>> Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> writes:
>> > Reported to service provider as spam.
>>
>> Please don't reply to SPAM. You just make it visible to those of us
>> with better filters. Hint : spammers do not read your reply.
>
>I didn't quote the spam except to be clear which message I'm responding
>to. None of the substantive content was quoted, and the spammer's
>message is thwarted.
>
>> And no one else is really interested in your reports either.
>
>Others who might want the message reported can know that it has already
>happened. I also see it as visibly advocating, by example, the practice
>of reporting each and every spam message to the service provider that
>was used to send it.

I also see a lot of other practices ... that does't mean they are
smart.
What Richard suggested *is* - if you wish to report spam do it in
private, you don't need to alert the whole group of your actions. I
personally am not interested in spam, and am even less interested in
people reporting spam (because usually on one spam message comes 10
"report it. it doesn't belong here" replies.)

Many of us have filters that have been tuned over time so that we
don't see the original spam when it appears.

By calling attention to yourself, you're indirectly just helping the
spammer suffocate the group.

Paul