Please help with regular expression finding multiple floats

Cousin Stanley cousinstanley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 19:42:32 EDT 2009

> I have text that looks like the following
> (but all in one string with '\n' separating the lines):
>
> I want to capture the two or three floating point numbers in each line
> and store them in a tuple.
> I have the regular expression pattern

Jeremy ....

  For a non-regular-expression solution
  you might consider something simlar to
  the following ....

s = '''\
    1.0000E-08   1.58024E-06 0.0048
    1.0000E-07   2.98403E-05 0.0018
    1.0000E-06   8.85470E-06 0.0026
    1.0000E-05   6.08120E-06 0.0032
    1.0000E-03   1.61817E-05 0.0022
    1.0000E+00   8.34460E-05 0.0014
    2.0000E+00   2.31616E-05 0.0017
    5.0000E+00   2.42717E-05 0.0017
      total      1.93417E-04 0.0012'''

l1 = s.split( '\n' )

l2 = [ ]

for this_row in l1[ : -1 ] :
    temp = this_row.strip().split()
    l2.append( [ float( x ) for x in temp ] )

last = l1[ -1 ].strip().split()[ 1 : ]

l2.append( [ float( x ) for x in last ] )

print
for this_row in l2 :
    if len( this_row ) > 2 :
        x , y , z = this_row
        print '    %5.4e  %5.4e  %5.4e ' % ( x , y , z )
    else :
        x , y = this_row
        print '                %5.4e  %5.4e ' % ( x , y )

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being