A new way to configure Python logging

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 25 09:49:56 EDT 2009

Wolodja Wentland <wentland <at> cl.uni-heidelberg.de> writes:

> > You are right, unless handlers (and filters, formatters etc.) are given
> > names which can be used to refer to them across multiple configuration calls.
> > This is something I am thinking about and will probably update PEP 391
> > with my thoughts.
>
> Are these two statements not a bit contradictory? If it would be
> possible to refer to all major components in logging by *unique* names
> would that not mean that the usage example I gave is possible?

Perhaps, depending on the scheme I come up with.

> I think we managed to single out the sole requirement I would have
> towards 'logging' that is missing today.

Named items will certainly make more things possible, and so I am thinking more
seriously about it. I will post here once I've updated PEP 391 with my thoughts.

> Is this way to deal with logging really that uncommon? I guess I have
> to read a lot code to see how other people do it as this would be the
> way that feels most natural to me.

It could be not uncommon, without being common ;-) There are lots of open
source projects around, from some of which (hopefully) you can see what
approaches others have taken.

> Thanks again for taking this discussion to the users list. I could have
> commented in the -dev thread, but did not. (I ask myself: Why?) I
> therefore appreciate it a lot that you try to figure out your users
> requirements before implementing them! I just love open source software!

Well, thanks for responding in such detail, and I hope more people give their
input because it would be a real shame (if they care) not to take the
opportunity to give some feedback. The PEP is perhaps "too much information"
for casual users to bother with, but (as Nick Coghlan said on the dev list)
it's worth putting in the thought a PEP requires, just so that if the
configuration approach is standardised, at least it has had the opportunity
for committer and community review first.

Best regards,

Vinay Sajip