Web development with Python 3.1

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Wed Oct 28 03:08:12 EDT 2009

Alan Harris-Reid wrote:
> I am very much new to Python, and one of my first projects is a simple
> data-based website. I am starting with Python 3.1

    Until MySQLdb gets ported to something later than Python 2.5, support
for a "data-based web site" probably has to be in Python 2.5 or earlier.

    The C module situation for Python 3.x still isn't very good.
Realistically, the production version of Python is 2.5.  This process
is taking long enough that I'm worried that Python 3.x could do for
Python what Perl 6 did for Perl - provide an upgrade path that nobody
takes.

    HTMLTemplate ("http://py-templates.sourceforge.net/htmltemplate/index.html")
is a minimal templating system for fill-in-the-blanks template work in Python.
Actually, if you have HTMLTemplate, FCGI, and MySQLdb, you have enough to
do a back-end database.

    There are some advantages to libraries (you call them) over "frameworks"
(they call you) if you're doing something unusual.  Frameworks are more
useful if you're doing yet another "Web 2.0" web site.

					John Nagle