Web development with Python 3.1

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Wed Oct 28 10:17:47 EDT 2009

Dotan Cohen a écrit :

>>> ֹYes, but I don't like it.
>> Why so ? What's your problem with templating systems, exactly ?
>>

> They don't give me the control over the HTML that I would like. I'm
> probably stuck in 1998 when they didn't exist, but I like to write the
> HTML myself.

<once-again>

*Why* on earth do you think using a templating system will give you any
less control on the generated HTML ?

</once-again>

>>> How is this done in Django, then?
>> def index(request):
>>    unmaintanable_html = """
>>  <head>
>>    <title>Index</title>
>>  </head>
>>    <h1>Embedded HTML is a PITA</h1>
>> """
>>    return HttpResponse(unmaintanable_html)
>>

> And if I need to add a variable or three in there?

- first solution : use string formatting

python 2.x example:

unmaintanable_html = """
   <head>
     <title>%(title)s</title>
   </head>
     <h1>%(h1)s</h1>
"""

data = dict(
   title="index",
   h1="Poor man's templating",
   text="Won't get you very far..."
   )

return HttpResponse(unmaintanable_html % data)

- second solution: do basically the same thing with a template system -
which will give you much more power and options...

> Static HTML I can
> do without Python.

Sorry, I forgot to setup a database etc for this example !-)