Bug(s) in Python 3.1.1 Windows installation

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Wed Oct 28 20:12:50 EDT 2009

* Gabriel Genellina:
> En Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:18:48 -0300, Alf P. Steinbach <alfps at start.no>
> escribió:
>
>> I thought it would be prudent to install 3.1.1 for Windows from
>> scratch, so I uninstalled everything (CPython, ActivePython), and then
>> installed Python 3.1.1.
>> In the "Advanced" option I told the installer to compile packages.
>> The compiler then found a few syntax errors apparently in some text
>> conversion test programs, and finally a message box popped up saying
>> that "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package",
>
> Did you install it over an existing directory, that might contain
> modules intended for a previous version, e.g. c:\python?

No, completely clean install.

> Even if you uninstall Python, the uninstaller removes *only* the files
> *it* copied; everything else is left alone. This includes
> modules/libraries/packages that you may have installed in the past.
> Libraries written for any 2.x version are not compatible with the new
> 3.x syntax; if any of those libraries exist in the directory where you
> install 3.1.1, you get an error like yours.

No, after uninstalling previous stuff I manually cleaned up remains (to the
point of removing left over file extensions in PATHEXT).

>> OK, I'll try again /without/ asking it to compile. I'm just reporting
>> this so that whoever needs to know knows (including maintainers and
>> people wanting to install this).
>
> The best place to report bugs is http://bugs.python.org/

Sure, thanks.

But there are three reasons why I posted here. (1) I'm lazy. (2) It can help
others. (3) Faster response times, including helpful responses like yours (and
yes it would really have been helpful if that was the problem, so thanks! :-) )

Cheers,

- Alf