ImportError: No module named _md5 - Please help

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 13:17:49 EDT 2009

On 2009-10-29 11:28 AM, Sean DiZazzo wrote:
> On Oct 29, 8:49 am, wadi wadi<wadie... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I can't alter the import statement as the error log is pointing to one
>> of the installed python files 'hashlib.py'
>>
>> /python/2.6.2/lib/python2.6/hashlib.py
>>
>> and I don't have the right permissions to alter the python installation.
>> Any idea?

> You are being vague and confusing.  There is no default "_md5" python
> library in the standard library.  You should be either using "import
> md5" (deprecated) or "import hashlib".  Unless perhaps the code you
> show is from inside one of those libraries, and there is a _md5.so
> that it uses but cant find.  Not sure about that.
>
> Did you write the code above?  Or did you find it inside another
> file?  If you found it inside another file what is the file?

He's saying that he found that import in hashlib.py . He tried "import hashlib"
(or something that tried "import hashlib"), and it gave him a traceback showing
that the statement "import _md5" was the one that actually the root cause of the
failure.

> If you still have questions, I have another approach.  Please cover
> your palm and fingers with a thick layer of black ink (making sure to
> cover your entire hand).  Press your hand down firmly on a piece of
> bright white paper.  Allow the ink to dry.  Finally, scan the page and
> post it here.  I will attempt to read your palm to find the answer.

That's uncalled for. He's been reasonably clear. The error in understanding is
all on your end.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."