Feedback wanted on programming introduction (Python in Windows)

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Thu Oct 29 17:58:55 EDT 2009

* Benjamin Kaplan:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Alf P. Steinbach <alfps at start.no> wrote:
>> ActiveState is simplest to install.
>>
>> However, given what I've now learned about the current situation wrt.
>> versions of Python, where Python 3.x is effectively a new language, and
>> where apparently ActiveState has no installer for that, I'm rewriting to use
>> the "official" distribution.
>>
>> It has some bugs in the installer and is in many respects incompatible with
>> the information the student can find and will most easily stumble on on the
>> net, even the sites that the 3.1.1 documentation links to (e.g. now
>> "tkinter" instead of "Tkinter", now "/" does not perform integer division
>> and there goes my example of that, so on), but it's a more clean language.
>>

> ActiveState does have Python 3 installers. They've had them almost
> since the day it was released. It's just not the default because many
> of the libraries people use haven't been ported yet.
>
> https://www.activestate.com/activepython/downloads/

Oh well, thanks, but now I've spent some time on *reworking* the text (it took
some time because I had to uninstall and install again to create new screenshot,
and, thus discovered the module docs server in the mainstream distribution :-).

Is there such a thing also in the ActiveState 3.x distribution?

Since Python has so many batteries included I'm fairly sure that 3rd party
libraries won't be needed. Or, I can probably wing it if necessary.

Cheers,

- Alf