datetime question

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Oct 31 05:34:34 EDT 2009

Albert Hopkins <marduk at letterboxes.org> writes:

> On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 10:08 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Yes, it would be nice if the ‘time’, ‘datetime’, and ‘calendar’
> > modules were all much more unified and consumed a common set of
> > primitive date+time types. It's a wart, and fixing it would
> > (unfortunately) probably require backward-incompatible API changes.
>
> But, supposedly, that's why we had Python3.

Fixing ‘time’, ‘datetime’, and ‘calendar’ was the reason for Python 3?
No, it wasn't.

Or perhaps you mean that any backward-incompatible change was a reason
to have Python 3? Even more firmly no. The extent of changes was
severely limited to make the transition from Python 2 to Python 3 as
painless as feasible, while still meeting the goals of Python 3.

--
 \        “Odious ideas are not entitled to hide from criticism behind |
  `\          the human shield of their believers' feelings.” —Richard |