problem with read() write()

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Sat Oct 31 11:01:56 EDT 2009

Zeynel wrote:
> On Oct 31, 9:55 am, "Alf P. Steinbach" <al... at start.no> wrote:
>
>> * Zeynel:

>>> Thanks, but it didn't work for me. I still get the meta file. Although
>>> I see that "hello" is there.
>>>
>> Just a thought: try "w+" instead of "r+".
>>
>> Because if you do
>>
>>    print( open.__doc__ )
>>
>> as I recall it said something about "w" truncating the file?
>>
>> Cheers & hth.,
>>
>> - Alf
>>

> No :) I still got the same thing.

When you ran the program, the file already existed.  So you're mixing
the old content and the new.  If you don't want that, then don't use r+.

When testing, you should start with the system in a known state.  Try
initializing (with a text editor for example) that file before trying
the program.

And if it still gives you problems, show us the data in the file before
running your code, your new code, and the results you get.   One thing
that'd be useful is to actually assign the results of the read()
function to a variable and print it.

DaveA