An assessment of the Unicode standard

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Sep 1 03:39:14 EDT 2009

r wrote:
> Well despite all my rantings over Unicode i highly doubt Guido will
> remove it from Python or any other language devs will follow suit. As
> i pointed out the real issue is not so much a Unicode problem (which
> is just a monkey patch) but stems from the multi-language problem.

Unicode is a symptom, not a fundamental cause.

[snip]

> But this same problem also extends into monies, nation states, units
> of measure, etc.

There is, of course, an international system of measure. The US is the
only major holdout. (I recall Burma, or somesuch, is another.) An
interesting proposition would be for the US to adopt the metric system
in exchange for the rest of the world adopting simplified basic English
as a common language.

tjr