Entry Level Python Jobs

Tim Wintle tim.wintle at teamrubber.com
Wed Sep 2 13:35:31 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 08:31 -0700, JonathanB wrote:
> I am a self-taught Python programmer with a liberal arts degree
> (Cross-cultural studies). I have been programming for several years
> now and would like to get a job as a python programmer. Unfortunately
> most of the job posts I have seen are for CS Majors or people with
> experience.
>
> Is there a place I can look for job posts for entry level positions
> requiring no experience? For the hiring managers, if the job post said
> "CS Major" in the requirements, would you consider a liberal arts
> major at all?

Definately not without any experience - but "experience" doesn't have to
come from paid work - coding as a hobby in your free time is what's made
all the best developers I know.

Some things I personally would expect (and find more important than a CS
background) - in order of importance:

 * Experience (e.g. open source / hobby projects / work) - several years
worth.

 * Problem solving ability

 * A good comprehension of C, machine code, or something where you have
to care about pointers/references.

 * Basic maths skills.

Tim