Why does this group have so much spam?

Thu Sep 3 18:47:47 EDT 2009

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 12:19:48 -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 04:01:54 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>

>>>ISP's price residential service based on average fixed cost and average
>>>usage. Multiple homes using one connection push those averages up.
>>

>> Is that meant to be a problem?
>>
>> When people buy more, the unit price they are paying falls, but the
>> total price they pay generally goes up. E.g. we've recently upgraded
>> our business link from AUD$150 per month for 60GB to $190 for 100GB.
>> The per GB price is less, but the total we pay is more -- and the ISP
>> doesn't have to do much extra work for that extra money.
>>

> The difference is that you *upgraded* your service and so incurred a
> greater total cost.  If my neighbor lets the rest of the neighborhood
> use his wireless, while I do not, yet my prices go up because on average
> more usage is happening, I am paying more but not getting more.

Incorrect -- you are getting all the downloads you make yourself, plus
the warm fuzzy feeling of happiness from the knowledge that other people
are making downloads you have paid for.

Of course, if you've *unintentionally* left your wi-fi open, perhaps
"cold feelings of dread and horror" would be more appropriate, but we're
talking about the situation where folks deliberately leave their wi-fi
open for whatever reason.

--
Steven