Why does this group have so much spam?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Sep 3 23:07:48 EDT 2009

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> According to the theory "increased usage leads to higher prices", we
> should be paying more for Internet access now than we were in 1999, and
> hugely more that from the early 90s when there were hardly any Internet
> users.

You are confusing historical changed with contemporaneous alternatives.

Suppose that all over the world, people coordinated so that one in three
households paid ISPs while a neighbor on each side piggybacked (and
perhaps paid the paying househould their one-third share).  Do you
really think that would have no effect on the pricing and availability
of internet service?

tjr