cross platform distribution

vpr mvanaswegen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 04:44:50 EDT 2009

Hi All

After a couple of experiments, searching around and reading Steve
Holden's lament about bundling and ship python code, I thought I'd
direct this to to the group. I'm using Python 2.6 btw.

I've build a commercial application that I'd like to bundle and ship.
I'd like to protect some of my IP and the py2exe and cx_freeze builds
provide good enough protection for me.

I'd like to provide a build for windows and a build for linux. Windows
ironically has been easier to target and py2exe has given me a nice
build that I can ship between XP, Vista & Server on both 32 and 64
bit.

On linux I've build a build using cx_freeze which works well except
it's not really portable betweem distributions.

I've also been thinking about distributing bytcode versions but things
get tricky quickly.

Can anywone give me some pointers?

Cheers

vpr