Flowcharting in Python?

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Mon Sep 7 20:11:55 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 00:09, Grant Edwards wrote:

> Have you looked at Skencil (nee Sketch)?  It's a
> vector/object-oriented drawing program written in Python:
>
>   http://www.skencil.org/
>
> It's not really optimized for flowcharts or block diagrams
> (IIRC, it doens't have any concept of connecting arcs between
> polygrams), but you might be able to extend it.

Or maybe Dia is worth looking at, since it is aimed at diagram creation:

  http://live.gnome.org/Dia/Python

>> I'm beginning to think I'll have to create something from scratch.
>
> I wouldn't think you'd have to start from scratch.  You should
> at least use one of the GUI frameworks that has some sort of
> canvas widget.

PyQt4 contains an example called diagramscene.py which does simple
flowcharting. It might be useful to look at it to get some ideas.
Personally, I had thought about adapting it to create statecharts.

David