start default application for read a pdf from python

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid
Tue Sep 8 16:01:13 EDT 2009

On 2009-09-08, Angelo Ballabio <angbal at email.it> wrote:

> I try to start a default application for reading a pdf file
> inside the python script.
>
> I try
>
> os.startfile(name,option) but say me startfile not implemented

Are you _sure_ it says startfile not implemented?   Or does
it say this:

  >>> os.startfile("foo.bar")
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'startfile'

[You'll always get better answers if your questions are
specific and precise -- whenever possible, you should paste in
actual code and error messages.]

> there are some system to start for example acrobar or okular
> from the script with a name of pdf file?

Google tells me that Okular is something for KDE.  That implies
that you're running Linux or Unix?   [When asking a question, you
also need to provide OS, Python version, etc.]

If you are running Linux/Unix, then I suspect the answer to
your problem can be seen in the fine documentation at

  http://docs.python.org/library/os.html#process-management

    os.startfile(path[, operation])

      Start a file with its associated application.
      [...]
      Availability: Windows.

If you want to do something similar on Unix/Linux, you'll
probably need to call some desktop-specific.

Googling for python+startfile+linux found me these links:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-March/193897.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-python/2004-August/000138.html

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! FOOLED you!  Absorb
                                  at               EGO SHATTERING impulse