hanning python

Wed Sep 9 00:24:56 CEST 2009

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:12:18 -0700, sturlamolden wrote:

> On 8 Sep, 15:08, pdpi <pdpinhe... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Come, come. I think it's a good rule that, where available, a vendor-
>> supplied implementation is the preferable choice until proven
>> otherwise.
> Even for the simplest of equations?

A decent vendor-supplied implementation will include error checking that
you otherwise would need to implement yourself, so yes.

Also, given the oddities of floating point, a decent vendor-supplied
implementation is likely to work successfully on all the corner cases
where floats act bizarrely, or at least fail less disastrously than a
naive implementation will.

Third, it's very easy to use the wrong formula, especially for something
like the Hann window function which is known by two different names and
is commonly expressed as three different versions, two of which fail for
a window width of 1.

And finally, no matter how simple the equation, why re-invent the wheel?