Function to apply superset of arguments to a function

Andrey Fedorov anfedorov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 12:45:57 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've written a function [1] called apply_some which takes a set of
keywords arguments, filters only those a function is expecting, and
calls the function with only those arguments. This is meant to
suppress TypeErrors - a way to abstract the logic which checks what
arguments a passed-in function accepts.

For example:

> def foo(x=1, y=2):
>    return (x,y)
>
> apply_some(foo, y=0, z="hi") // calls foo(y=0)
> -> (1,0)

I'd like to expand this to fill undefined arguments with None, but
before I do, does anyone know of any packages/libraries which either
do something similar or would make this code cleaner?

Cheers,
Andrey

1. http://gist.github.com/183375