[repost] Does standard python have BeautifulSoup (or something like it) ?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Sep 10 08:25:06 EDT 2009

steve wrote:
> I had sent this question below a couple of months ago but didn't receive
> any replies. I forgot about it though, since I had moved on to using
> BeautifulSoup. Now however, I am wondering why something like this is
> not present in the standard lib. What is the accepted procedure to
> propose the inclusion of some module in our beloved 'batteries included'
> library ?
>
> I'd like to see this module (or something similar) included.

This has been proposed and discussed before and was rejected, IIRC, mainly
due to the lack of a maintainer. But there are also other reasons. For
stdlib inclusion, it's generally required for a module/package to be
best-of-breed. So, why BS instead of html5lib, which, supposedly, is a lot
more 'future proof' than BS. Or lxml, which is a lot faster and more memory
friendly? Or maybe others?

See, for example, the python-dev archives from 2009-03-02.

Stefan