python and openSSL

Luca Bel lucabel at
Thu Sep 10 16:28:34 CEST 2009

I had already installed and tested M2Crypto.
My problem is that with this library I've not found a way to replicate the
operation that I can made with openssl.
As you can see, here:

openssl smime -decrypt -verify -inform DER -in ReadmeDiKe.pdf.p7m -noverify
-out ReadmeDike.pdf

No certificate is used. I can simply extract the contents of p7m and save it
on fs. And the extracted file is perfect.

following this how to, seems that a certificate is always needed, and I
don't have it.

can someone help me?