From Perl to Python

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Sep 10 13:50:34 EDT 2009

Raful CIV Mitchell H wrote:
> General newbie type question…open ended.  I have been scripting in Perl
> for 8 years for net management purposes.  Mostly interacting with SNMP
> and Cisco MIBS in general.  I would like to re-write these scripts in
> Python.  Any suggestions in how to get started in Python and ,
> especially, needing an interface to SNMP would be appreciated.
>
>  Thanks,
>
> Mitch

Inpatient, eh?  :-)

Dive into Python is an excellent get-you-going book that is also freely
available (http://www.diveintopython.org/).

Another good one is How to Think Like a Computer Scientist, Learning
with Python (http://openbookproject.net/thinkCSpy/).

As for SNMP, I have no direct experience, but a search of google shows
several candidates, including http://pysnmp.sourceforge.net/.

Good luck!

~Ethan~