<urlopen error (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')>

opengis at hushmail.com opengis at hushmail.com
Fri Sep 11 13:29:05 EDT 2009

Thank you for the response.  I have been using
urllib2.urlopen("http://www.openlayers.org"), so I can rule out the
url being incorrect.  Since my original question I can add the
following:

1. I am not using a proxy to connect to the internet
2. I added these lines to the script:
     proxy_support = urllib2.ProxyHandler({})
     opener = urllib2.build_opener(proxy_support)
     urllib2.install_opener(opener)
   I believe this tells python not to look for a proxy server.
3. I have added http://www.openlayers.org and its ip to my windows
hosts file
4. socket.gethostbyname produces the same 11001 error as
urllib2.urlopen

You are spot-on suggesting a dns issue.  It seems like python
cannot resolve hostnames when it is running in Tomcat 6.  Here is
my Tomcat cgi config from web.xml:

	<servlet>
		<servlet-name>cgi</servlet-name>
		<servlet-class>org.apache.catalina.servlets.CGIServlet</servlet-
class>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>debug</param-name>
			<param-value>0</param-value>
		</init-param>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>cgiPathPrefix</param-name>
			<param-value>WEB-INF/cgi</param-value>
		</init-param>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>executable</param-name>
			<param-value>C:/Program Files/Python25/python.exe</param-value>
		</init-param>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>passShellEnviroment</param-name>
			<param-value>true</param-value>
		</init-param>
		<load-on-startup>5</load-on-startup>
	</servlet>

	<servlet-mapping>
		<servlet-name>cgi</servlet-name>
		<url-pattern>/cgi-bin/*</url-pattern>
	</servlet-mapping>

The hostnames consistently resolve in Apache Server with the same
script, so I don't think my dns config is wrong.  I don't have a
local firewall, but could my network firewall be blocking python
from takin care of business?  Can anyone share their experience or
a link on running python in Tomcat?

thanks again,
josh