[Guppy-pe-list] An iteration idiom (Was: Re: loading files containing multiple dumps)

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Sep 11 13:29:09 EDT 2009

Chris Withers wrote:
> Sverker Nilsson wrote:
>>
>> The __repr__ I use don't have the enclosing <>, granted, maybe I missed
>> this or it wasn't in the docs in 2005 or I didn't think it was important
>> (still don't) but was that really what the complain was about?
>

> No, it was about the fact that when I do repr(something_from_heapy) I
> get a shedload of text.
>
>> I thought it was more useful to actually get information of what was
>> contained in the object directly at the prompt, than try to show how to
>> recreate it which wasn't possible anyway.
>

> Agreed, but I think the stuff you currently have in __repr__ would be
> better placed in its own method:
>
>  >>> heap()
> <IdentitySet object at 0x0000 containing 10 items>

For what it's worth, the container class I wrote recently to hold dbf
rows is along the lines of Chris' suggestion; output is similar to this:

DbfList(97 records)

or, if a description was provided at list creation time:

DbfList(State of Oregon - 97 records)

basically, a short description of what's in the container, instead of 97
screens of gibberish (even usefull information is gibberish after 97
screenfulls of it!-)

~Ethan~