uses for setup.cfg and extracting data from it

Ben Finney ben+python at
Sat Sep 12 00:14:54 CEST 2009

"P.J. Eby" <pje at> writes:

> If you're talking about, all you need to do is use the
> distutils functions that allow you to run a without executing
> any of its commands.

Specifically, I want to programmatically access the metadata that is
held in the arguments to the ‘distutils.setup()’ call. Without, as you
say, executing any Distutils command.

I am not aware of any ‘distutils’ public functions that can do that, and
reading <URL:> again doesn't enlighten
me. Would you be more specific about what these functions are?

 \     “Guaranteed to work throughout its useful life.” —packaging for |
  `\                                          clockwork toy, Hong Kong |
Ben Finney