Which version of python I should use if I just start programming in python?

r rt8396 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 17:21:28 EDT 2009

On Sep 12, 3:47 pm, Peng Yu <pengyu... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just start python programming. That is, I don't have any legacy
> code. I notice that there are different versions of python. I would
> guess that older version of python has the more libraries than newer
> versions. But the code developed in newer versions might be better
> supported in the future. Can somebody give a guideline on which
> version of python a new python developer shall choose?
>
> Regards,
> Peng

Boxers or briefs? ;-)

Well both have pros and cons. As for myself i am using 2.x until it
expires, but that is because i already have much code in 2.x line. If
you are starting from scratch i would say 3.x. The only bad aspect of
2.x right now is that eventually (if you want to keep current) you
will have to make the change to 3.0 and since backwards compatabiltity
is broken you will need to do more than just download the new
version!

At the very least you should learn the 2.x just to see why such
changes were made. But in the end keep all *real* projects in the
Python 3.0. So just lean with 3.0 and if you find some need for 2.x
(3rd party modules) use it for christs sake!

At this point in time with 3rd party modules still converting i would
say 3.0 may feel like a pair of tight briefs and your "boys" might
start to feel "confined" shall we say. With 2.x you will feel the free-
ballin' freedom of more choices at your disposal. But eventually the
tides will shift!