list as an instance attribute

Daniel Santos daniel.dlds at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 20:34:29 EDT 2009

Here goes,

I have a base class that is the following :

class primitive:

	def __init__(self):
		self.name = ""
		self.transforms = []

	def copyInternalState(self, sourceObj, copyName):
		return null

	def copy(self, copyName):

		# copy the source object internal state
		primitiveCopy = self.copyInternalState(self, copyName)

		# copy the transformations
		primitiveCopy.transforms = []

		if self.transforms != []:
			for transf in self.transforms:
				primitiveCopy.transforms.append(transf.copy())

		return primitiveCopy

	# more methods. the ones listed should be enough to get the picture

And a derived class,

class CircularCilinder(primitive):

	def __init__(self, name):

		self.name = name
		self.baseCenterVertex = [0, 0, 0]
		self.heightVertex = [0, 1, 0]
		self.radius = 1

	def copyInternalState(self, sourceObj, copyName):

		copy = CircularCilinder(copyName)

		copy.setHeight(self.heightVertex[1])
		copy.setRadius(self.radius)

		return copy

I then have a script that creates a CircularCilinder,

cilinder = CircularCilinder("cilinder")
cilinderCopy = cilinder.copy("cilinderCopy")

when I run this script I get the error,

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./testscript.py", line 26, in <module>
    cilinderCopy = cilinder.copy("cilinderCopy")
  File "/cygdrive/d/cg/brlcad_api/trunk/src/ds_brlcad_modeler/api/primitive.py",
 line 64, in copy
    if self.transforms != []:
AttributeError: CircularCilinder instance has no attribute 'transforms'

the transforms instance attribute is not known in the derived class. But I
wanted to avoid adding a self.transforms = [] line to the derived class
__init__ method. That attribute is only to be known by the superclass.

Is there a way to do this ?