list as an instance attribute

Miles Kaufmann milesck at umich.edu
Mon Sep 14 05:40:36 EDT 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 1:55 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>> pep08 : class names should be Capitalized.
>> Also, if you're using Python 2.x, make it:
>> class Primitive(object):
>>   #...
>
> I find it remarkable that the most primitive classes appear to break
> the pep08 convention eg object, str, list etc etc. In fact all such
> conventions appear to be broken more often than not. So the rule
> appears to be "create a convention and then break it" :)

More like "break a convention and then create it." :)  Before Python
2.2, built-in types were not classes at all; they couldn't be
instantiated directly (from Python code), so you had to call the str()
function to create an object of type "string".  I think there may have
been some discussion of renaming the built-ins to match PEP 8 for
Python 3, but if so I doubt it got very far.

-Miles