python 3.1 unicode question

jeffunit jeff at
Tue Sep 15 16:41:16 CEST 2009

I wrote a program that diffs files and prints out matching file names.
I will be executing the output with sh, to delete select files.

Most of the files names are plain ascii, but about 10% of them have unicode
characters in them. When I try to print the string containing the name, I get
an exception:

'ascii' codec can't encode character '\udce9'
in position 37: ordinal not in range(128)

The string is:

This is on a windows xp system, using python 3.1 which I compiled
with the cygwin
linux compatability layer tool.

Can you tell me what encoding I need to print \udce9 and how to set python to
that encoding mode?