Looking for a pure Python chart drawing module

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Tue Sep 15 13:25:11 EDT 2009

I'm looking for something that can draw simple bar and pie charts
in Python.  I'm trying to find a Python package, not a wrapper for
some C library, as this has to run on both Windows and Linux
and version clashes are a problem.

Here's the list from the Python wiki at
"http://wiki.python.org/moin/NumericAndScientific/Plotting".
Almost all the options are really wrappers for some other
package in C/C++.

* Matplotlib -- wrapper for Antigrain, written in C/C++
* Veusz -- requires PyQt from http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt, which
is in C/C++
* Chaco -- requires binaries for Enthought Tool Suite
* ScientificPython - uses mix of C, C++, and FORTRAN.
* Gnuplot module -- wrapper for GNUPLOT
* plot_wrap - wrapper for GNU plotutils
* BLT - "tcltk.com" link goes to a domain squatter site.
* PyQT - wrapper for Qwt C++ library
* DISLIN - interface to C++ DISLIN system
* Mayavi - interface to Mayavai2, standalone program
* gdmodule GD - python wrapper for the GD library.
* Gist - wrapper for gist graphics library
* pgplot - Wrapper for pgplot.
* Py-OpenDX - wrapper for IBM Data Explorer
* VTK - wrapper for VTK in C++
* RPy - wrapper for R programming lnaguage
* PyX - wrapper for Tex.
* Biggles - wrapper for C++ module
* Pychart - 100% Python, but last updated 21-Dec-2005.
* PyNGL - uses PyNIO, which is in C
* pygooglechart - Python interface to the Google Chart LookinAPI, only works in
browser

So, for pure Python, Pychart is it.  I'll have to try it and see if it still
works.

				John Nagle