Python and 3d

mbaas mbaas at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 16 15:40:56 EDT 2009

On 13 Sep., 13:29, azrael <jura.gro... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone any exipience with python and 3d.
>
> I mean, is there a module to deal with popular 3d formats like 3ds, or
> vrml. is it possible to import into python opengl models and then use
> it in application for GUI purposes like through WX. I know that WX
> supports OpenGL but how to import models from file.

I have written a package called cgkit (http://cgkit.sourceforge.net/)
which can import a few 3D formats (see here for a list of supported
formats: http://cgkit.sourceforge.net/doc2/importplugins.html).
You could load the models into memory and then use their OpenGL
drawing methods within your own OpenGL code. The drawing code in cgkit
is written in C++, so it doesn't need PyOpenGL itself but works fine
together with it.
Or you could just extract the geometry data and do all the OpenGL
stuff yourself, that's up to you.

- Matthias -