socket.MSG_WAITALL flag broken on Windows XP in Python 2.5.4?

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at
Wed Sep 16 21:53:10 CEST 2009

Tim Roberts wrote:
> Wes McKinney <wesmckinn at> wrote:
>> I noticed the flag socket.MSG_WAITALL seems to have crept its way into
>> Python 2.5 on Windows (it's in 2.5.4, but not in 2.5.1, not sure about
>> intermediate releases). I do not think Windows supports it. It seems
>> to cause some problems in some libraries (like Pyro) that use it if
>> it's available in the socket module.
>> Does anyone know more about this?
> MSG_WAITALL is supported, starting with Windows Server 2003.
> It's a tough situation.  Ideally, you'd want socket to remove that symbol
> on the systems where it's not supported, but that's asking a lot.

My installation doesn't have _socket.MSG_WAITALL, Wes, I wonder where yours is coming from?
(Python 2.5.4 and 2.5.2, on Windows XP.  On my Mac (OS X) it does have the flag, and
it's working fine there.).