module metadata variables

Roland Koebler r.koebler at
Thu Sep 17 17:58:39 CEST 2009

many Python-modules contain metadata-variables, like __author__ etc.
But most documentation-tools only support some of these variables, and
some tools even define their own metadata-variables.

So far, I found:
- pydoc (->
    __version__ (additionally converting '$Revision: ...$' to '...')

- epydoc (->

- some modules also use:

So, my question is:
Is there any "generic" definition of these variables?
Otherwise it may be good to define a "standard" set of such
metadata variables.

And I think pydoc should be extended to at least support __copyright__
and __license__. I'll send a patch for this, except there is any
reason against it.