SQLite or files?

TerryP bigboss1964 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 02:34:15 EDT 2009

alex23 wrote:
> So what part of the standard library do you recommend using instead?
> Or was there no time for advice between snarkiness?

As a matter of technique, I believe in fitting the storage to the
particulars of the problem at hand.

In my own projects, I will often employ simple text based formats
(unix-rc, ini, or xml) whenever possible, and then roll the
application specifics to suit it -- for any data that I expect that
gaining good compression rates on later, will be favourable.
Personally from what I've read in this thread, I would suggest using
sqlite3 or an xml parser, depending on exactly what the OP wants.
SQLite3 is fairly stable for routine use, and assuming that the OP has
half a clue of figuring it out, would probably suit'em perfectly with
much less bother then the standard xml brews.

Over the years I have seen virtually everything tried for storing
information, down to writing dictionaries out to a file for later
slupin' & eval() recovery, which is a method that I have occasionally
thrown my hands up at.... I don't even want to mention some of the
commercial products I've bumped into!

--
TerryP.