Looking for a pure Python chart drawing module

Giacomo Boffi giacomo.boffi at polimi.it
Fri Sep 18 09:58:18 EDT 2009

Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl> writes:

>>CW> Huh?
>
>>CW> Matplotlib is a pretty phenomenal charting library, I use it
>>CW> routinely on both windows and linux, I've never had any
>>CW> compilation problems on Linux and never even needed to compile
>>CW> it on Windows.
>
>>CW> Writing if off as "just a wrapper for antigrain" is pretty
>>CW> insulting...
>
> *You* made up the "just" in that quote. The point was that the OP
> wants something that only needs Python.

matplotlib can be used to generate .ps, .pdf and .svg files (all
vectorial formats) without resorting to Antigrain

Antigrain is used only in rasterizing, due to its better capabilities
in the field of antialiasing, when you use matplotlib with an
interactive backend; of course, if you're truly dispising Antigrain
and are happy with a coarser display you can select interactive
backends that DO NOT use Antigrain

that's for the Antigrain wrapper

otoh, if the OP intended a plotting library that does not use binary
modules at all (then his reference to Antigrain was mostly fogging),
then matplotlib is not for him

% find matplotlib-0.99.0/| grep -v agg24 | grep '\.cpp$' | wc -l
23
% find matplotlib-0.99.0/| grep -v agg24 | grep '\.c$' | wc -l
5
%

--
 I wish we'd come to our senses and see there is no truth
 In those who promote the confusion for this ever changing mood.