Can print() be reloaded for a user defined class?

r rt8396 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 11:49:51 EDT 2009

On Sep 20, 10:16 am, Peng Yu <pengyu... at gmail.com> wrote:
(snip)
> I am more familiar with C++ than python. So I need to connect python
> concept to C++ concept so that I can understand it better.
>
> name1 and name are all references (in the C++ sense), right?
>
> __repr__  and __str__ are references (in the C++ sense) to functions
> and both of them could refer to the same function or two different
> ones, right?

Don't ever try and map C++ to Python on a 1:1 basis or you will get
quite confused. Try this thought experiment, and remember, the Python
shell is your best friend now!

IDLE 2.6.2
>>> a = 1
>>> b = 1
>>> a
1
>>> b
1
>>> id(a)
27822424
>>> id(b)
27822424
>>> help(id)
Help on built-in function id in module __builtin__:

id(...)
    id(object) -> integer

    Return the identity of an object.  This is guaranteed to be unique
among
    simultaneously existing objects.  (Hint: it's the object's memory
address.)

NOW you can apply that logic 1:1 to your python problem ;-)