Re: I look for proxy cache like apt-proxy (for Debian Package) but for python eggs package…

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sun Sep 20 14:27:14 EDT 2009

Klein Stéphane schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I look for a tools to do proxy cache like apt-proxy (for Debian Package)
> but for python eggs package.
>
> Can a easy-install option perform this feature ?

No. But you might install EggBasket, which is a PyPI-like server.

   http://www.chrisarndt.de/projects/eggbasket/

However, it is *not* a proxy, and to the best of my knowledge that's not
easily done anyway due to the way easy_install is working. It scrapes
the website it is pointed to, and when it finds something it likes,
follows that.

Thus the server doesn't get an idea *what* easy_install is looking for,
and thus can't relay the request to the "real" PyPI, fetching the egg,
storing it locally, and then re-deliver it.

Instead what we do with eggbasket is to copy all the eggs we obtained by
other means into a central repository that he serves. Thus we have them
backed-up & available even if PyPI or the actual package go away.

Diez