Python: automate input to MySQL query

Threader Slash threaderslash at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 05:18:06 EDT 2009

Hi Everybody...

I have a query that works as follows:

 Code:

db.query("""SELECT traveler.travelerFirstName,vaccine.vaccineName from
(traveler INNER JOIN takenvaccine ON traveler.travelerID =
takenvaccine.travelerID)
        INNER JOIN vaccine ON takenvaccine.vaccineID=vaccine.vaccineID
        INNER JOIN requiredvaccine ON
vaccine.vaccineID=requiredvaccine.requiredvaccineID
        INNER JOIN city ON requiredvaccine.cityID = city.cityID
WHERE traveler.travelerFirstName = 'John'""")

The output gives me all vaccines taken by a given employee. To allow the
user to choose different names when running the system, I am trying to use a
variable, named *person*:

 Code:

person = "John"

db.query("""SELECT traveler.travelerFirstName,vaccine.vaccineName from
(traveler INNER JOIN takenvaccine ON traveler.travelerID =
takenvaccine.travelerID)
        INNER JOIN vaccine ON takenvaccine.vaccineID=vaccine.vaccineID
        INNER JOIN requiredvaccine ON
vaccine.vaccineID=requiredvaccine.requiredvaccineID
        INNER JOIN city ON requiredvaccine.cityID = city.cityID
WHERE traveler.travelerFirstName = 'person'""")

Then I run the query inside my python program. The first version without
variable works fine. But the second, using variable, doesn't give me any
output. What I am missing here about the python variable sintaxe to make the
MySQL work with variable ... Any suggestion?

All comments or suggestions are highly appreciated!

Threader