Finding application data after install - a solution?

Aahz aahz at
Tue Sep 22 16:42:37 CEST 2009

In article <mailman.232.1253597842.2807.python-list at>,
Wolodja Wentland  <wentland at> wrote:
>I want to:
>    1. Give administrators the freedom to install the data wherever they
>       want
>    2. Adhere to the FHS (installing data within modules breaks it)
>    3. Be able to find that data again regardless of the installation
>      scheme used
>1 and 2 are easily solved... It was just not possible to find the data
>again. The snippet in the original code solves that.

Given your mention of FHS, it sounds like you are focused on Unix-like
systems, in which case why not rely on the standard mechanisms for config
Aahz (aahz at           <*>

"I won't accept a model of the universe in which free will, omniscient
gods, and atheism are simultaneously true."  --M