Idiom for "last word in a string"

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Sep 23 14:47:05 EDT 2009

I recently ran across this construct for grabbing the last
(whitespace delimited) word in a string:

   s.rsplit(None,1)[1]

It was somewhat obvious from the context what it was supposed
to do, but it took a bit of Googling to figure out exactly what
was going on.

When I want the last word in a string, I've always done this:

   s.split()[-1]

I was wondering what the advantage of the rsplit(None,1)[1]
approach would be other than inducing people to learn about the
maxsplit argument that is accepted by the split() methods?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I want a VEGETARIAN
                                  at               BURRITO to go ... with